IMRS - "Irritable Mercury Retrograde Syndrome"

Wednesday, December 7, 2011
Alright, that is quite ENOUGH Mercury. I have had it up to HERE (you can't see, but trust me...my hand is really high up) with your retrograde self! If Amethyst allowed me to swear on the blog, I would. I'll try to keep it clean.

I'm gonna share something a lil personal with all you lovely readers. No one has ever known when I'm on my period. Wanna know why? Because I have never displayed the often typical signs of PMS. However, everyone knows when Mercury retrograde is by just looking at me sometimes. 


 Me at work today. 

Before I get too much into this, there might be some of you who aren't familiar with Mercury Retrograde: 

"A planet is described as retrograde when it appears to be moving backwards through the zodiac. According to modern science, this traditional concept arises in the illusory planetary motion created by the orbital rotation of the earth with relation to other planets in our solar system. It's a bit like travelling on the road watching another car beside you: when the other car slows down, or you speed up, it looks as though the other car is moving backwards. Planets are never actually retrograde or stationary, they just seem that way due to this cosmic shadow-play."

"Mercury is a planet which governs all transportation and communication issues. Mercury is not an emotional planet, but rather a highly objective, truth-seeking one. It rules intelligence, education and truth. When it is in retrograde, some of its power is held back."



So what sort of shenanigans can we expect during M.R.?? 

  • All electronics (computers, printers, cameras, etc.) go wonky or bite the dust (just imagine nearly finishing a 20 page paper for your Film final and your motherboard burns out. Yeah. I almost threw the dining room table out the window.)
  • Items go missing (WHERE ARE MY KEYS?!)
  • Missed appointments (No that's ok. The train can be stuck in between stations for 45 minutes. It's not like I had a conference to be at or anything...)
  • Lost mail (Wait....Pedro's getting married? When?? What invitation?!?)

And there's plenty more where that came from. Mercury Retrograde is like the fracking astrological version of Murphy's Law. Ridiculous. (The computer has frozen twice while I write this post by the way. Goddoughnut!!)

There are those who say that it's just in our minds. A good friend of ours has said that he doesn't pay M.R. any mind, therefore not giving it power. He goes through it as if it is not occurring. By seeing it this way, he says he doesn't even know when M.R. happens most of the time. And in part I agree with him.


                                                                Never trust winged shoes and a smile.

But I still believe whether you acknowledge M.R. or not, the effects, although different from person to person, are still felt (or at least noticed).  The energy that comes around during M.R. is so chaotic to me, it makes me VERY irritable.  I feel it at least a week before M.R. begins. I have no idea why. That's how it feels for ME. It also depends on where Mercury falls in your Birth Chart. Someone else's M.R. experience could be totally different.

 I know it's easier said then done, but I feel we can at least attempt to better our M.R. experiences. How? By going with the flow, try to see that everything happens for a reason (maybe your train being delayed helped you miss that car that would've hit you, had you been on time), and taking DEEP breaths and centering ourselves.

Now I don't wanna leave you with bad taste in your mouth about M.R. (actually, after reading this back, you probably have no taste buds left). After all the loathsome and despicable criticism I give to Mercury Retrograde, it actually has many wonderful things about it.





One of the major rules of M.R. is to NOT START ANYTHING NEW!! Do NOT sign that contract. Do NOT buy that house/car. Do NOT start a new job.

However, M.R. is GREAT for going back to things you started, but never finished (or failed at). Here are some other good things to do during M.R.:

  • Bury the hatchet with someone
  • Give a relationship a 2nd chance
  • Revise a novel or short story you have been working on
  • Reconnect with old friends
  • Try that "unbeatable" level again in that video game you played for 14 hours
  • Revisit an idea you had a block on

The key word to remember is "RESTART".



Retrograde'n like a boss.

 M.R. has been pretty good to me in this sense. I reconnected with my father (who I hadn't seen in 10 years) during a Mercury Retrograde. And just the other day, I used it's energy to call one of my best friends who I haven't spoken to in so long. Before M.R., I was nervous to call him because I thought he might be avoiding me or upset with me for some reason (that's the Pisces talking). But the other day, it just felt right to call. Turns out he was now working TWO jobs and barely had time to see his family; much less have time to himself. I totally understood and was just glad I got the chance to talk to him. 

Okay, so there are SOME good things about M.R. But why?:

"...Why would the Universe give us Mercury retrograde? Because to move forward it is sometimes necessary to backtrack and reconfigure our paths in life. It is important to reconsider, repair, reflect, and reconnect. Mercury forces us to slow down and fix what's broken, and in so doing, rethink things."

"...The key issue here is one of focus. Mercury's retro phase tends to bring unforeseen changes and blockages, but the aggravation and frustration that many of us experience during these periods is often due to our own inability to roll with the punches. Is this due to our ego-fixation?

Mercury sets out to restructure our thinking processes and for many of us this is painful and frustrating. Unresolved issues from the past tend to push themselves forward. Moreover, these experiences reveal flaws in our internal organisation as well as our external planning, which can make us feel foolish and inadequate. Keep your eyes peeled; Mercury's retro period gives us the chance to find out just what has been missed."

Touche, monsieur Mercury. Touche.

~*Atreya*~


Citation:




P.S. Here's a great FREE site to get your birth chart done. Click on "Chart drawing, Ascendant" button and fill in your info. Where does Mercury land on YOUR chart?




0 comments:

Post a Comment